Getting started guide
In this article, learn about the main menu categories and secondary menu sections in Retail POS. Navigate to other articles in the guide using the carousel below.
All navigation within Retail POS is done using the main and secondary menus. These are displayed on the left-hand side of the screen. Once you have selected a category from the main menu, a secondary menu will expand showing available sections to choose from within that category.
The main menu comprises categories representing each area of Retail POS, such as Catalog or Reporting.
Selecting any of the main menu categories (excluding Home) will display the secondary menu and open the first option by default, i.e. Catalog > Products. The main menu will collapse to icons (and remain navigable), while the secondary menu allows you to navigate between sections within the category.
To close the secondary menu and see the main menu in full, select the Show menu icon at the bottom of the menu. You can reopen the secondary menu by selecting Hide menu.
Main menu categories and secondary menu options may vary depending on which Retail POS plan you are subscribed to and the integrations you use.
The Home menu offers a snapshot of your business performance generated by Retail POS reporting. When you first log in for the day, you will be on the Home dashboard by default and can navigate to other areas of Retail POS from here. The Home menu is the only main menu category that does not have any secondary menu options.
The Sell menu is where the magic happens in Retail POS:
- Make sales with the Sell screen, Retail POS’ central sale processing platform.
- Maintain accurate register records with Open / Close.
- Track, manage and review sales with Sales history.
- Control cash movements with Cash management.
- Check your connection with Status.
- Configure selected register settings with Settings.
- Manage sales quotes with Quotes.
The Reporting menu is the hub of Retail POS analytics. This category offers a deep-dive into your data that enables you to get a better understanding of your business. There are a number of reporting functions available, depending on your plan:
- Retail dashboard* gives you an overview of key performance metrics.
- Drill into your sales data with Sales reports*.
- Use Inventory reports* to optimize your stock levels.
- Analyse where payments come from with Payments reports.
- Use Lightspeed payments to maximize your payment processing power.
- Review Register closures for further sales insights.
- Track optional payment methods like Gift cards and Store credit.
- Ensure accurate accounting with Tax reports.
*The Retail dashboard, inventory reports, and some sales reports metrics may be restricted depending on which Retail POS plan you are subscribed to. For more information on reporting availability, refer to Basic and advanced reporting in Retail POS (X-Series).
The Catalog menu is all about your products. This category allows you to personalize your product catalog and control numerous functionality around it:
- Create a powerful product catalog with Products.
- Use Promotions and Price books to increase selling power.
- Curate product details with Brands, Suppliers, Product tags, and Product categories.
- Expand your product offering with Gift cards.
The Inventory menu is the central location for stock management.
- Use Stock control to order, receive, transfer, and return stock.
- Maintain accurate inventory levels through Inventory counts.
- Allocate stock to orders on the Fulfillments page.
The Customers menu represents the people buying your products and empowers you to create tailored customer profiles for sales tracking, promotional and marketing, and data collection.
- Create a customer database with Customers.
- Use Groups to expand what is available to your customers.
The Setup menu is the backbone of your Retail POS account. This category is where you can create, customize, configure, and enhance your store through a number of settings and features.
- Adjust General settings, Billing, Payment types, and Taxes.
- Setup and maintain your Outlets and registers.
- Expand your offerings with On account sales, Loyalty, and Store credit.
- Configure staff access to your account with Users.
- Integrate Apps to further enhance Retail POS’ capabilities.