On account sales are used to track product purchases that the customer intends to pay at a later date. By placing a purchase on account, you will create an invoice for that sale that the customer will need to pay. Products put on account are removed from inventory.
Creating an on account sale
Before starting an on account sale, ensure the customer is added to the sale.
- Add items to the sale.
- Click Pay.
- Click On Account.
- Add a note to the sale if required.
- Click Complete sale.
- Print or email receipt.
- Ask the customer to pay their balance.
- Ask the customer to make a partial payment and put the remaining balance On Account.
- If you have user permissions to do so, you can allow or increase the customer On Account limit.
The sale will be shifted to On Account status, and the customer will have a balance-owing recorded against their name. Each time that customer is added to a sale, you will be able to see any outstanding balance on their account. The on account sale will remain open until the balance owing reaches zero.
Opening an existing on account sale
Xero customers should not edit existing on account sales.
- Navigate to Sales History.
- Find the On Account sale, using filters if required.
- Click on the sale to expand the details.
- Click Continue sale. The sale will then open on your sell screen.
- From the sell screen you can add new items, complete, or void the sale from the sell screen.
note: the original sale lines will be locked and cannot be edited. If you wish to remove items from the original sale, you should void and recreate the sale. Refer to Voiding using the sales history for more information on voiding on account sales.