In Retail POS, you are able to add multiple suppliers to your products. These can be captured on standard products and products with variants, and each records supplier-specific product codes and supplier prices.
When ordering stock, the recorded supplier information is dynamic and will change depending on which supplier you've selected on the stock order form.
How multiple suppliers work
A supplier is where you source your product(s) from. Different products can have different suppliers, and some products may have multiple suppliers that the product is sourced from.
Being able to capture multiple suppliers in Retail POS means that you can record supplier code and supplier price information, for each supplier, against your products, and quickly and easily order your product(s) from that supplier in Retail POS.
Once added to a product (see the Adding and editing multiple suppliers on products individually drop-down for detailed steps), a product's supplier information will be displayed on the Catalog page in the Supplier column.
The first supplier entered will be displayed in the Supplier column, with additional suppliers denoted by and X more, however, Retail POS will dynamically display an additional suppllier in place of the first supplier, when the additional supplier is searched for using filters.
You can also click to expand the product and select the Details tab to see each supplier name, supplier code, and supplier price recorded for that product.
When ordering stock, a product with multiple suppliers recorded will default to the supplier code and supplier price for the Supplier that has been selected on the order.
If a different supplier is selected after the product(s) have been added, the supplier code and supplier price will dynamically change to match what is recorded for that product.
Supplier information can be viewed for each product from within the stock order by clicking the product to expand.
Adding and editing multiple suppliers on products individually
To add or edit multiple suppliers on your products, follow the steps below:
- Navigate to Catalog > Products.
- Click Add product to create a new standard product or product with variants, or locate an existing product, click to expand and clickEdit product.
- On the Add or Edit Product page, under Inventoryyou will find the Supplier information section.
- Select the Supplier from the dropdown. If the supplier has not been created in Retail POS yet, enter the name of the supplier into the Search all suppliers field and click Add "X" as a new supplier.
- Enter the supplier code (if applicable) into the Supplier code field.
- Enter the supplier price into the Supplier price field.
- To add additional suppliers, click Add another supplier
- Repeat steps 4-7 until all suppliers are captured
- Click Save
Importing multiple suppliers in bulk via CSV/XLSX
It is important to note that while Retail POS supports bulk importing of multiple suppliers via CSV/XLSX, it does NOT currently support editing or exporting via CSV/XLSX.
We strongly recommend reading the below guide carefully and ensuring that all steps are followed accurately to prevent any errors from occurring.
Once imported, the suppliers will need to be edited on an individual product basis within Retail POS. Refer to the Adding and editing multiple suppliers on a single product section above for instructions on how to do this.
You can now import multiple suppliers in bulk using CSV/XLSX. This allows you to quickly and easily capture multiple suppliers for each product across a large catalog.
Export a product list
To begin, navigate to Catalog > Products.
The first thing you'll need to do is export your current product catalog as a CSV/XLSX. You can either export your entire catalog, or a portion of it using the filters.
Once you have identified the desired products, click Export list and select CSV formator XLSX format.
Formatting the CSV/XLSX file
Once open, you MUST delete all of the inventory columns (including their headers) to prevent unwanted changes to inventory levels when reimported.
The existing supplier_name, supplier_code, and supply_price columns are for your product's default supplier. If this has already been populated in Retail POS, the supplier information will be displayed in the file, otherwise, these columns will be blank.
You can add additional columns for each of the suppliers you wish to add to your products using the column header formatting below:
If you are adding more than one additional supplier, the next set of columns should be:
The numeric indicator for each column header should increase with each supplier that is being added to the product(s). The first additional supplier is 1, the second is 2, the third is 3, and so on.
The supplier populated in the supplier_name, supplier_code, and supply_price columns will always form the default supplier for a product and display first.
The order will then be formed in numerical order using the add_supplier_X_name,add_supplier_X_code, and add_supplier_X_price columns. To change the order, change the numerical value in the column header.
Changing the column position in the CSV/XLSX file will have no effect on the supplier order in Retail POS.
(Click to enlarge)
Populate the cells under each header with the relevant supplier information for that product. Each product can have none, one or more of supplier name, code and price. If the cell is left blank, the information for that supplier will simply be ignored for that specific product when imported.
When adding suppliers to products with variants, all variants need to have the same supplier name. If one of the variants doesn't have the same supplier name as the rest of the family, the import will error.
You must populate the three add supplier columns (add_supplier_X_name, add_supplier_X_code, and add_supplier_X_price) for each additional supplier, otherwise, all information for that supplier will be ignored.
Import the CSV/XLSX file
When the CSV/XLSX has been completed, Productsand click Import.
Click Choose a file to upload... and select the file you have just created. The CSV/XLSX validator will read all columns and assign them to the corresponding data fields within Retail POS.
If the validator detects any errors you will be taken to the column matching screen. Here you'll be able to view any unmatched columns and fix them by selecting the correct column from the drop-down menu or clicking Don't Import to ignore the column.
When the unmatched columns have been matched or ignored, scroll down and click Continue.
If no errors are identified, click Continue with Import.
Once the import is complete, you will receive a notification stating "Your product import has completed. X records were added, X records were updated and X were ignored."
If any records were ignored, click View ignored products (CSV) to determine what needs to be corrected.
Your import will be successful if no records were ignored. You can now see the imported suppliers for each individual product on the Edit Product page in the Catalog > Products section.
Processing a stock order with multiple suppliers
To process a stock order while using multiple suppliers on your products, follow the steps below:
- Navigate to Inventory > Stock control and click Order stock.
- Enter the order information:
- Supplier: Click to choose the supplier for the order, although the order can be created without choosing a specific supplier if you desire. This supplier will dictate which supplier code and supplier price is used for products added to the order that have multiple suppliers recorded.
- Deliver to: For this field, select the outlet you wish to deliver the stock to. It is mandatory to choose an outlet.
- Supplier Invoice Number (optional): When you order stock your supplier may include an invoice number. If you already have the invoice number, you can input this here for your supplier's reference.
- Delivery Date (optional): This is the expected date of delivery for the order.
- Order Number: The order number is generated by Retail POS when you select the outlet on the basis of the outlet settings. You can then add your own suffixes or adjustments to help you identify your orders easily.
- Note (optional): Add custom information to your orders, like personal reminders or approval notes - the free-form Notes field lets you add these to your orders and search them for future reference.
- Preview: See the delivery status of items easily on-screen, this key information may help them from losing sales of out-of-stock items.
- Add products by typing in the product name or scanning the barcode in the Search or scan to add product search box and clicking on the correct one. Aproduct with multiple suppliers recorded will default to the supplier code and supplier price for the Supplier that has been selected on the order.
- To review additional supplier information, click the product to expand.
- Repeat step 3 for each product that you wish to order and click Save when finished.
If a product does not have the Supplier selected for the order added as a supplier for that product, Retail POS will advise that the order contains products from a different supplier.
Click Continue anyway? to continue with the order, or remove the product from the order if it was added by mistake.