Mobile Tap (Chipper 2XBT) is a small, portable, bluetooth card reader that empowers you to take card payments quickly and easily when paired with your iPad and Lightspeed Payments. It is capable of reading magstripe cards, EMV-enabled cards, and contactless NFC card tapping.
Charging your Mobile Tap
- Fully charge the Mobile Tap for at least 3 hours before setting it up.
The provided micro USB cable is used exclusively for charging the device, it cannot be used to establish a connection with your iPad.
- Once charged, power on by pressing and releasing the power button located on the side of the device. It can be manually turned off by pressing and holding the same power button until the status lights are off.
- It's recommended to recharge the device nightly.
When fully charged, the BBPOS Chipper 2XBT should last for 800 EMV transactions / 5000 magnetic card swipe transactions / 1000 EMV contactless transactions.
Pairing the Mobile Tap to an iPad
- Open the Retail POS app on iPad and tap the Menu icon (☰)
- Navigate to Settings > Hardware
- In the Lightspeed Payments section, tap Connect to bluetooth terminal
- From the Nearby Bluetooth Devices menu, select the Chipper 2XBT that is displayed
- Accept the Bluetooth Pairing Request by tapping Pair
- The terminal has been successfully connected when Connected to Chipper 2XBT is displayed in the Lightspeed Payments section.
Minimum payment amount of $0.50 in local currency (US, Canada, and Australia) or £0.30 (UK) applies to all transactions
Understanding the Mobile Tap status lights
The status light (found near the power button) on the Mobile Tap device represent different readiness states:
- No light: the reader is off.
- Flashing blue every second: the reader is on and ready to be paired.
- Solid blue light: the reader is on and connected.
- Flashing blue every 5 seconds: the reader is in standby mode to conserve power.
- Flashing red: the reader's battery is low and in need of recharging.
- Alternating red and magenta: the battery is recharging.
- Rapidly flashing blue and orange The reader has finished installing a software update. If the reader is unresponsive after the update completes, restart the reader by turning it off and on.
In addition to the status light, there are 4 NFC status indicator lights on the reader. When the first of these is lit, the reader is ready to accept payment via tap. When all 4 are lit and accompanied by an audible beep, the payment has been successfully accepted.