Important: Updating your iPad to the minimum system requirements will prompt you to grant the Retail POS app permissions to access Bluetooth and Local Network settings on your iPad.
If declined, this will cause your printer to no longer function. To fix this, ensure your device's Bluetooth and Local Network Permissions are enabled in Settings > Lightspeed Retail POS (X).
In order to set up your receipt printer with your iPad, you'll first need to make sure you have all the peripherals needed.
As the SM-S230i is a Bluetooth device, it does not require any cables to connect it to your iPad. The only cable you will need for your printer is the power cable to charge the printer. Once fully charged, you can disconnect the power cable.
Make sure you have 58mm receipt rolls. To load your receipt roll open the latch on the top of the printer, place the roll inside, and pull some of the paper through before closing the lid.
The SM-S230i is a portable pocket printer that does not have the capability to connect to a cash drawer.
Connecting your Star SM-S230i Receipt Printer to your iPad
You'll need to connect the printer to your iPad in Bluetooth settings. To do this:
1. Open the Settings app on your iPad.
2. Tap the Bluetooth option under General Settings.
3. Ensure Bluetooth is turned on.
The Bluetooth slider should be green and switched to the right. If the slider is to the left and in grey, tap again to ensure Bluetooth is on.
4. In the Bluetooth Device list on the iPad tap Star Micronics.
5. Type in the device PIN: 1234.
Under My Devices, the printer should show a status of connected, confirming that the device is successfully connected.
Add the Star SM-S230i to the Retail POS app
1. Open the Retail POS app and tap the Menu icon (☰).
2. Select Settings > Hardware.
3. Under Receipt printers, tap Add a printer.
4. A modal will appear to add your printer. Tap Follow steps to connect and add a printer > Next.
5. To get your printer ready and perform a hardware self-test, connect your printer to a power source leaving your printer off and load your receipt paper roll in your printer and close your printer’s lid shut.
6. Press and hold the FEED button and turn on your printer.
7. Once your hardware self-test receipt prints, tap Next.
8. Select your printer and tap Next.
9. Select your printer model and tap Next.
10. Under Connected printers, you will see your SM-S230i model listed—Tap Add printer.
11. Your iPad will ask you to select a Bluetooth accessory. Tap on your printer's name. There may be a delay before seeing your printer's name as compatible devices may appear.
12. Your printer is now connected to Retail POS. You can choose to rename your printer, perform a Test print, or tap Finish.